Sunday 9 May 2021

May 9, 2021

It was one of those gorgeous, at-home, pottering-around Sundays. They're the best.

I gathered up a whole load of things I didn't want anymore and put them in a bag ready to take to the charity shop. This included sorting out all my clothes and shoes and getting the wardrobe tidy.

Tidying up in a different corner, I found a pile of CDs I didn't know I had - a charity shop job-lot, possibly from last year in that interlude between lockdowns. So I've spent the day listening to music, and did 3000 steps just bopping about.

I also played some LPs, most notably Monty Python's Previous Record, another unlistened to charity shop purchase. While the album was new to me, I spent so much of my teens listening to borrowed Python I knew every sketch off by heart despite it being close to 40 years since I last heard them. 

It was still a bit surprising to remember all the words to "Ya De Bucketty" though.

I looked out the window and saw a dog playing in the puddle (yes, the puddle is back).



It was in there for ages, snuffling the muddy water, pawing and splashing, tail going like crazy. The last time I saw a dog having that much fun I was on a beach in Wellington, New Zealand, and the dog was attempting to dig through to Europe.

I learned three random things:

1. The word 'companion' is 'com' - with - and 'pain' - bread. Someone you break bread with. Obvious when you know, innit? From Unexplained Laughter by Alice Thomas Ellis.

2. The word 'smeuse' is a hole in a hedge or wall. From the lovely Moose Allain's tree adventure.

3. Identical twins only occur in humans and armadillos. Amazeballs. From a fascinating article about the epidemiologist who warned New Zealand about Covid-19.

Todays Photo: Deg, Master of Puddle


No comments: