Saturday 8 May 2021

May 8, 2021

As it's the penultimate day of Reading Week, I thought I'd better do some reading.

I set myself the goal of getting through the first chapter of a textbook about anthropology and culture.

The chapter remains unread. 

I did read a ton of other anthropology stuff so it's not all bad. But it annoys me that I can never actually do what I set out to do, not in a linear fashion anyway. Welcome to unmedicated ADHD, folks.

Part of the prep was to watch this 1982 Granada documentary, Witchcraft Among the Azande:

Comments under the video are 99% anthropology students checking in to say hi.

One of them asks: Could anyone summarise this for me please?

The lone reply: they believe in dumb shit because they dont understand the world around them exactly like the west

Which neatly summarises everything I've learned from my studies so far.

I found in interesting blog post about emerging from lockdown when you're autistic. There was a lot I could relate to in there.

It was nice going for a walk tonight because it was raining - there were very few people about. I wandered round until I'd done 10k steps then I came home via the chip shop.

Along the way I saw a memorial I'd not noticed before in Alexandra Gardens:

It's for Raoul Wallenberg, who took it upon himself to save as many Jews as possible in Hungary during WW2 (I didn't know who he was so took the pic so I could google him when I got home). The number of lives quoted as saved - 100,000 - is because that's how many Jews were still alive in Budapest when the war ended. What incredible bravery, and what a sad end to his story.

Today's photo: Graffiti 



No comments: