Monday 10 May 2021

May 10, 2021

It's April out there - sunshine one moment, downpours the next.

Weren't we having a heatwave this time last year?

Speaking of last year, David Hockney made me happy in April 2020 by rejoicing in art and spring at a time when everything was scary.

“What is stress?" he said. "It’s worrying about something in the future. Art is now.” 

I did actually take his advice and do some art, although the Great Man would probably not recognise it as such: I got the scissors out and updated an old Rupert the Bear annual:

It took my mind off things and was a lot of fun. 

(There are more in this series but I haven't scanned them yet.)

Then lo and behold David Hockney made me happy again today. 

Just look at this gorgeous thing:

After Monet no.340, 21 May 2020 by David Hockney

There's a new Hockney exhibition at the Royal Academy over summer so, pandemic permitting, it looks like a trip to London might be on the cards.

I saw his Arrival of Spring exhibition at Salts Mill in 2019. It was phenomenal. I haven't looked at dappled sunlight in a country lane the same since.

Downstairs at Salts is the old paintingy stuff, and upstairs is the newer iPad stuff.

 

 

 At first I didn't think I liked the latter, but the longer I looked at it the more it grew on me, until I had completely fallen in love.

That's two potential adventures lined up for summer now - London, and Up North.

Up North to include Durness, Keswick, Coventry (for the 2-Tone exhibition) and probably Salts Mill again, because why not; it's wonderful and it's free.

Let's just hope the number on the left stops creeping back up:


 Today's Photo: Brunch



No comments: