Thursday 4 November 2021

November 4, 2021

An interesting piece in the Graun today that I could've written myself, except my ancient Nokia flip phone is black and I would've had half a dozen printed copies of the QR code pre-emptively stowed in my hand luggage:

My life without a smartphone is getting harder and harder

I went to the comments with some trepidation - wanting to say that I agreed wholeheartedly with what she'd written, expecting to find literally everybody else calling her a loser. 
 
But below the line, I found my people.
 
By the end of the day, there were almost a thousand comments and I'd say most of them were supportive. So it's not just me who thinks it's unethical, discriminatory and downright sinister that all of a sudden everybody's expected to cough up serious coin to buy a consumer item they may not want or need. Not just me who likes life being slightly haphazard and full of surprises. Not just me who shudders at the thought of a spy in their pocket. Not just me who prefers to look up and around, not down.
 
This feels cheering, even as we dumbphone owners stubbornly Darwin ourselves out of modern life (which is rubbish, anyway).
 
I wonder if the author of the piece was as surprised as I was by the vehemence of the responses.

Today's Photo: STOP





No comments: