Monday 1 November 2021

November 1, 2021

Every time I walk past this culvert it reminds me of when I lived in Wellington, NZ, and I signed up for a six week summer evening class called something like 'Getting To Know Your City'.


It involved a different outdoorsy activity each week. I vaguely remember kayaking in the harbour, yomping all over Mt Vic, and dangling terrified from the top of a climbing wall. 

I distinctly remember driving up to Karori to wade through a culvert. 

There was possibly more to it than that. But that's the bit I remember. It's etched on my memory because it was wet and dark and called for bravery, but simultaneously it was simple, fun, and very much not-dangerous - the water was shin-deep at most, and once you were past the bend halfway along you could see daylight in the distance at the other end.

It's not the sort of thing you do every day, is it - wading through a culvert? I remember it like it was yesterday.

And so every time I see this one by Roath Park, I just want to get in there. I tried explaining all this to my friend Sam one time we walked past it together, and he just looked at me like I was crazy.

Clearly, the world is divided into people interested in wading through culverts, and those who aren't.

I'm sad for those people. They're missing out.

Today's Photo: Selfie 



No comments: