Monday 5 April 2021

April 5, 2021

A colleague from the job I'm taking a career break from to do the degree invited me round to her house today, to sit in the sunny back garden and drink coffee and chat.

It was the first IRL social encounter I've had since I walked round the park with my friend Sam last November (apart from gossiping with the handymen at my other job).

How wonderful it was just to speak to a human - to while away an afternoon talking about everything and nothing in particular. 

No masks required so actual, moving faces, too.

She has an ancient cat; deaf and blind and so decrepit I thought the poor thing was going to die right there in front of us on the lawn.

What a darling, though. She came and sat with us, on very wobbly legs, so fragile. 

When she wasn't stretched out warming her bones in the sun (and looking likely to snuff it at any moment), she was turning her head from side to side to sniff the air, keeping tabs on what was going on the only way she could. 

But even when my hand came out of nowhere, she still responded to strokes with pleasure, delighted at the unexpected fuss.

I'll not lie: it was even more wonderful to be in the company of a cat for a whole afternoon.

Today's Photo: I Love You, Decrepit Cat x

 


No comments: