Sunday 25 April 2021

April 25, 2021

At 9pm I realised I hadn't taken a photo today or eaten lunch or dinner.

So I quickly got some food in my face and took a picture of the first thing I saw, which happened to be the cover of a book I found in the charity shop last week, about the Berlin Wall.

I've been interested in the Iron Curtain since my trip to Berlin in 2018 - I suppose it's something to do with the 'special interests' autistic people are all supposed to have, although I'm not sure what they call it when normals find something interesting too.

I'm not a facts and figures buff, and I certainly won't talk to you about it for hours, I just like to gather information and muse on the human implications of these things. An understanding via the heart.

Driving south from Lübeck on my Europe campervan trip of 2019, I visited the very out-of-the-way Iron Curtain museum I'd heard about from a comment under a Guardian travel article.

It was tiny, and everything was in German (which I don't understand a word of), but even so I found it profoundly moving. 

Outside, they'd recreated a section of border fence, with its original watchtower.  

The cruelty it represented, the horror of it, was so sickening it made me cry.

But autistic people aren't supposed to have empathy either, remember? Ha, what a joke. To be honest, it would be nice NOT to care so deeply about stuff. It's a heavy weight to carry. But once you know things, you can't un-know.

A gay friend of mine went to Berlin and spent the whole time at nightclubs and orgies. When I went, I just walked around seeing ghosts.

Today's Photo: Mauer

 



No comments: