Friday 8 January 2021

January 8, 2021

What scintillating entertainments did I conjure up for myself today?

I really enjoyed browsing the ELECTRONICOS FANTASTiCOS! YouTube channel.


""ELECTRONICOS FANTASTiCOS!" project has been reincarnating various retired consumer electronics as musical instruments such as Electric Fan Harp, CRT-TV Drums, Air Conditioner Harp etc. The band plays them by catching electromagnetic waves."

Pretty damn amazing and I would LOVE to have a go on those drum tellies.

Keeping with the Japanese theme but in a slightly different musical style, I listened to the chimes that get played in Tokyo and beyond every day at 5pm. I'd read about them in Lauren Elkin's brilliant book Flâneuse so was interested to hear what they sounded like.

It was also fascinating to see the tiny glimpses of Japanese life in each video.

(Tomorrow I may attempt the invigorating calisthenics exercises forced upon the people of Akahama-cho at 7am daily.)

Somebody tweeted a link to Z-Library, something I'd not come across before. It holds more than 6 million ebooks and 80 million articles, all free - that's got to be worth bookmarking.

I watched a lecture by the amazing Tony Attwood who described my entire young life experience:

(Now that's how you talk about autism, Dr SBC.)

I wish I'd had information like this when I was growing up because I basically spent 40-odd years thinking I was useless and awful.

It would have been David Bowie's 74th birthday today and there was a lot of love for him washing around online. 

Ever keen for a Beatles link, I found this interview where George Harrison, sounding magnificently off his tits, describes Bowie as dopey-looking, while John Lennon springs to his defence (the Bowie bit starts at 3:40). Bless. I miss all three of them very much.

I only took two photos today, both solely for the purposes of this blog.

One was of Lemon Pig's continuing, rapid and horrific decline:

 

And the other was of the campfire flatbread I made for lunch because I'm out of bread and getting dressed and walking down the road to Tesco felt like too big an ask.

Campfire flatbread

1/2 cup self-raising flour
1 tbsp powdered milk
water

plus herbs, olives, whatever for savoury
or cinnamon, sultanas, whatever for sweet

Bung it all in, mix it all up til it's a sticky dough. Dollop it onto an oiled piece of tin foil in a hot frying pan. Squish it down, cook it until it's sort of set everywhere. I do the thin edges too.

I prefer the savoury version but today my sweet tooth got the better of me and I filled this one with sliced apple and lots of honey. Then I ate the rest of the apple for dessert. WIN.

(NB it's "campfire flatbread" because the recipe came from an outdoors blog - can't remember which one now - and the idea was you can put the dry ingredients in a bag and add the water once you've arrived at your preferred spot in the wilderness and got your campfire going. Anything you can cook on a campfire is good in my books.)

Perhaps some photos from outside tomorrow as I really do need to get some groceries in. Only 1 in 50 British people have Covid at the moment so I'm sure it'll be fine.


The big news on Twitter this evening is they just banned DJT for life. Too little too late, lads.


No comments: