Monday 4 January 2021

January 4, 2021

I woke up this morning and got straight on with procrastinating about my university course work. 

That took the form of yet more tidying/cleaning, going out for a walk, then coming home and alternately stressing out about the latest corona-idiocy from the government and falling asleep on the sofa. I finally approached Moodle around 7pm with all the verve and excitement of a dog being dragged to the vet for an injection.

Thus, unlike previous days/weeks, I didn't spend most of my time falling down entertaining Twitter rabbitholes. 

On the other hand, and speaking of dogs, I did get my first photo du jour of 2021 from Outside:

 

These two baleful faces tracked my every move as I walked past their house.

Online, I am still trying to click my way through Austin Kleon's 100 Things That Made My Year (2020).

After closing Blogger last night, which technically counts as today as it was way past midnight when I finished, I read a fascinating article called 'Falsehoods programmers believe about time zones' - I didn't understand half of it but the bit about Nepal made me laugh.

I also came across an interesting Twitter thread by Sam Dylan Finch about how to build a workable routine for yourself when you have ADHD - it's here if you're interested. It's something I truly struggle with.


 

Sam suggests not demanding too much of yourself - compile your list of "basic" tasks (shown left) and only move on to the more ambitious tasks (shown right) if you're moved to. The idea is that ticking off the things you do anyway will propel you into doing the equivalent harder stuff.

It's great in principle but I had to laugh as the only "basic" task I manage with any regularity is breakfast and even that's touch and go. However it's an intriguing idea and I will study it further when I, erm, when I do.

I make myself do uni work with the help of a time planner - colour in a square every time I manage to study for an hour; and let me tell you when I get into the zone that sweet hit of pink square is a drug. Some nights I just keep going til I die of exhaustion.

I'm studying Anthropology and the new module is 'Death, Burial and the Afterlife'. This is the module blurb:

One of the ways in which we experience our humanity is in our treatment of our dead and in particular our understanding of what happens to us when we die. This module explores different understandings of death, dying and the afterlife drawing upon a variety of interdisciplinary perspectives, drawing on case studies from the earliest burials in the Palaeolithic, Neolithic skull cults in the Near East, through Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome, Medieval Europe, and modern China. Themes explored include rites of passage, ancestor cults, funerary practices and social status, commemoration, pollution, physical anthropology and the materiality of the body, medieval relics, the philosophy of death, the afterlife and the meaning of life. As such the module aims to give students a thorough grounding in understandings of death and the afterlife as these are studied within the humanities.

Looks good. I have A LOT of reading to do this Reading Week.

In other news, December's mail is finally starting to arrive after my local sorting office was laid low by a double whammy of excess parcel activity and Covid before Christmas. I received a birthday present (17 December) from my sister today; it's my new favourite T-shirt.

I forgot to eat dinner tonight so am going to forage for crisps and/or cereal as it's too late to cook now. I'm not sure any rinky dinky planner can help with executive dysfunction this bad but I live in hope.

 

No comments: