Wednesday 27 January 2021

January 27, 2021

Mini-breakdown at work, no biggie.

I've had a week of various random, maskless men invading my cramped, poorly ventilated work space. 

The one who was crashing around this morning taking photos and ignoring me when I asked him twice to put a mask on turned out to be a manager doing a Covid risk assessment.

At which point I lost it. Trying not to cry/flappy hands in front of the boss kind of thing. 

For my sanity I'm staying at home for the rest of the week. 

Maybe next week too. Fuck that place. Fuck everything.

Drove (in tears) from work to Lidl where I stocked up on food for seven days and bought myself a bunch of cheerful flowers because they were lovely, because I needed them, and because I am fortunate enough to be able to do so.

Then went home to sit dazed for a while.

A tweet stopped me in my tracks:

I love this writer's precision. Their tweets always make me pause.

This one caught my eye because I write every day too, just to stop the thoughts clogging up in my head. Longhand in the mornings, this blog at night. It's the only routine I can to stick to.

But then I saw that "moving as much as I can against the lockdown thought-gravity." 

Wow. 

Those words hit home. I let them sink in a while.

They were exactly right.

So what's working for you, Twitter person who is able to express with such perfect brevity how life feels right now? I clicked on that Worldwide FM link. Very unlike me but I browsed until I found something I could live with then let it play quietly in the background all day. It's been good. It's been reaffirming. Voices, music, to remind me of life. It's normally dismally silent in here.

After that I went to bed and slept deeply; and woke refreshed, for the first time in centuries.

Thanks once again, Twitter, for getting me through a bad day.

Other good online things I saw today:

Lockdown cabin fever? 56 tried, tested and terrific ways to beat the boredom  (thought this was going to be the usual happy-clappy Guardianista guff but it's actually quite lovely)

ZZ Top's Gimme All Your Lovin' played on eight ukuleles is a sweet reminder of a more innocent world 

The sunrise photos of Ger Holland.

A decade of London in Google Street View (via the fantastic IanVisits blog. How I miss London)

'Like witnessing my own funeral': Michael Landy on Break Down (Break Down is something I think about a lot, being engaged in my own eternal battle with 'stuff', so it was good to suddenly find an article on it. I will never not wonder what it might feel like to do what Landy did)

The man who invited the world over for dinner

This tweet

That'll do.

It was Holocaust Memorial Day today. I thought about my 2019 visit to Bergen-Belsen, and all the stumble-stones I've come across while travelling in Europe. This is another thing I think about a lot.

Today's photo: Fleurs de Lys

Onwards.



No comments: