Saturday 27 March 2021

March 27, 2021

Spent the day reading for pleasure. Books of my own choosing! Incredible. This would count as a perfect day even before lockdown.

Finished three library books I've had out forever: Who Killed John Lennon by Lesley-Ann Jones, The Rhine by Ben Coates, and Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez.

I'm taking notes from The Rhine, just in case I ever pass that way again. 

I visited bits of the Rhine on my meandering and largely unplanned 2019 Grand Tour of Europe (I say "of Europe"; it was actually a limited and specific part of north-west Europe, Europe itself being much bigger than I had anticipated), and I enjoyed the experience so much I'm now tempted to do the whole river by bike. 

You can cycle from Hoek van Holland to the river's source in Switzerland in eight days apparently; there's a proper trail and everything. And of course rivers have the additional benefit of being quite flat.

Bits of the Rhine I visited in 2019:


(Hoek)
 


 
 

(Bacharach)

Ben Coates says of Bacharach: "In years of wandering Europe's scenic landscapes, I'd rarely seen anywhere prettier."

Oh lovely Bacharach, I discovered you completely by chance and how happy you made me with your scenery and your glorious sunshine and your free overnight campervan parking right next to the river.

The fireworks to round off the Kulinarische Sommernacht am Rhein festival that night weren't too shabby either.

The next morning I dipped my feet into the river and thanked my lucky stars for bringing me to this gorgeous place.

The water was freezing and the current so strong that if I'd fallen in I would've been back at Hoek before I knew it.

I also watched a bunch of random TEDx talks today. This was a tangent from Invisible Women - I needed to google 'hyperbolic plane crochet' and one thing led to another and then I let YouTube autoplay take me where it will.

I really liked this one:

The John Lennon book left me with a huge list of other books to read and things to google, and also a new Beatle place to visit, Durness in the far north of Scotland, in case you were wondering how I plan my holidays.

(The Europe trip was basically an excuse to go to Hamburg; Iceland Christmas 2015 was mainly for the Imagine Peace Tower; New York both times was for Strawberry Fields and some other stuff I suppose; I go to Liverpool at every opportunity and even moved there once, nuff said).

I don't half fancy a holiday.

Today's Photo: Same Old Shit/Crazy New Shit

Crazy new shit please!

 

No comments: