Thursday 25 March 2021

March 25, 2021

I really liked this article in the Graun today: 'If you're ecstatic after a trip to the shops, it's your brain thanking you for the novelty'.

As someone who booked a Covid test just for something novel to do after work this morning*, it resonated.

I was totally looking forward to the excitement of someone shoving a giant cotton bud up my nose but sadly, on arrival at the testing centre, I was told it was going to be self-administered.

Luckily, the young man ushering people through the facility spotted I was an idiot who was going to spend hours reading the instructions, so he stood there (at a safe distance) and directed me through the whole process.

So I did get to chat to a human after all, which was pretty much the whole point of the exercise

(The nose bit was quite unpleasant. That'll learn me.)

On completion, I demanded a sticker, and when I got home, the letter I've been praying for had arrived:

What a blessing it is to live in an age where these things are possible; to live in a country where these things are possible.

I have nothing to complain about today. I'm ecstatic. And I have a sticker.

Today's Photo: It's The Little Things


* As an on-site university admin bod I'm - allegedly - a key worker, so am meant to have one a week. As far as I'm aware, nobody bothers.



No comments: