Wednesday 17 March 2021

March 17, 2021

Just to be on the safe side, I cycled to work today and instead of being in the pocket where it usually lives, the camera stayed firmly in the bag.

At work, Deb the Wednesday-to-Friday receptionist gave me a book.

She's never given me a book before. We've never even talked about books. 

"I picked it up from the supermarket charity book swap table on Saturday night," she said. "Read it in two days, and thought of you - that you'd really like it. It's ever so lovely. Easy to read, and uplifting.

She is generally kind, but it's spooky how this happened on a day when I needed hands-on, in-your-face kindness more than any other day.

The book is The Year of the Hare by Arto Paasilinna, and for someone I chat to for just a few minutes a day, three days a week, Deb certainly has got the measure of me - it looks right up my street.

In the spirit of hau, I have promised her my beloved copy of All Quiet On The Western Front, one of the most remarkable and devastating books I've ever read, so fresh it could've been written yesterday. 

(She said she liked the true crime genre, so it's sort of appropriate?)

Too scared to take pictures of any outside thing, Today's Photo is a picture of my dinner, a kind of bastardised Spaghetti alla Puttanesca. Normal service will (hopefully) resume soon.

 

 

No comments: