Thursday 11 March 2021

March 11, 2021

I'm still working my way through the greatest 80s YouTube playlist ever.

This one came up while I was making dinner last night.
 

 
 
I loved this song so much when it was in the charts back in 1980. Music wasn't ubiquitous in those days like it is now - you had to wait for the chart rundown on Sunday, or Top of the Pops on a Thursday night, or hope for a chance encounter on another TV programme. Or - your best bet - you'd pray that a Radio One DJ would play it while you happened to be listening.
 
I knew the song was by a band called Split Enz. And that is literally all I knew about it. Then life moved on and I didn't hear it any more and that was that.

Fast-forward to January 1998 and I'm in a department store in downtown Wellington, newly arrived in New Zealand, halfway through a round-the-world trip. I Got You starts playing on the shop speakers. I freeze in my tracks. It's that long-forgotten song! Omg! Why on earth are they playing it here?

Turns out there was a reason for that.

Fast-forward again to the twenty first century and I'm someone who's been mildly harangued by both Finn brothers independently on separate occasions. But that's another story. 
 
I was also there to witness them being gloriously rude to Paul Holmes at Kohimarama Yacht Club live on air (it's ok, he deserved it).

Funny how life turns out, innit.

Handed in the essay at 5pm and went for a Street View crawl around downtown Wellington to celebrate.
 
I miss New Zealand.

Today's Photo: Shopfront



No comments: