Friday 26 February 2021

February 26, 2021

An interesting session with my study support tutor today.

Instead of chatting about yoga and food and holidays like we usually do, I asked if we could do a note-taking exercise, because I'm finding that my note-taking is hopeless.

So we watched a short video and both took notes.

Then we answered set questions on what we watched.

While we both wrote down more or less the same things, hers were in context and she was able to answer all the questions.

Mine were a haphazard collection of random detail, missing the obvious stuff, and they barely made sense when I read them back. I managed to answer about half.

She said, "Didn't you see the infographics flash up?"

No, because my head was down, writing. 

She said, "Didn't you watch AND listen while you were writing?"

No, because I can't do more than one thing at a time.

She said, "So you can't take it in as a whole and then just capture the gist?"

No. Because how do you even do that. Because it was going so fast and there were eleventy million possibly-relevant things flying at me at ninety miles an hour and I couldn't keep up and anyway how do you tell which is the important bit.

She said, "So you either see the whole, or you see the details, but not both at the same time?"

Yes. Exactly, yes. And if you asked me right now, I'd struggle to tell you what the video was about, beyond Chernobyl and elephants and fatal photos - my god, that photo - and here is a page of hastily scrawled numbers to prove it.

She said, "Oh, that's interesting... Interesting."

So, some progress made. 

At last, I think she believes me about the ASD/ADHD.

What we watched:

Today's Photo: Roots



No comments: