Friday 19 February 2021

February 19, 2021

Hi, Friday, nice to see you.

In between work, two lectures, a one-hour meeting with my student support person and an Eventbrite thing at 6pm, I decided to get some laundry done.

There is a small laundry mountain in the bathroom at the moment, but I concentrated on workwear (my approximation of the official uniform), viz:

Five black T-shirts
One black jumper
Two pairs of black jeans
Socks, black, a multitude
One facemask, grey, triple-layered

(Spot the item that wouldn't have been on the laundry list this time last year.)

Now, in this tiny rented bedsit there isn't a washing machine. And I hate going to the launderette even when there's not a pandemic on.

Which is why I bought R2-D2.

R2-D2 is the greatest thing ever. 

I fill him with hot water from the shower, and hand-rinse in the sink. 

Bung things on the radiator to dry or hang them from the curtain rail on coathangers.

If you can get it through the hole in the top, you can wash it, and it'll come out cleaner than it does in a normal washing machine.

He's paid for himself a million times over and he means I don't have to have awkward conversations with the man who runs the launderette. 

(Mo is nice, but terribly chatty.)

R2 counts as exercise and also entertainment in lockdown times. 

I can tell if I'm having a good or bad executive dysfunction day by how far I get through 200 handle-cranks before losing count.  

He is such a pleasure to use that on occasions I've even managed to empty the laundry basket.

One day last summer I got a king sized duvet cover, sheet and pillowcases washed, dried and back on the bed in one day and quite possibly that was the best thing that happened in 2020.

He's amazing, I love him.

Today's Photo: The Force Is Strong With This One


No comments: