Saturday 20 February 2021

February 20, 2021

This weekend last year I was in London, visiting family, seeing the sights, travelling around on crowded tubes, buses, trains and trams, and catching what was probably Covid-19. 

I would start to feel ill the following Wednesday.

I never found out for sure, but whatever it was felt like a very bad chest infection. I had a horrendous cough which got worse at night, when lying down made my lungs feel as if they were filled with goo. After the worst symptoms passed, I lost my sense of taste and smell. I felt extremely weak. At the time I wasn't worried because I had no internet at home and didn't really follow the news. Back at work, I just heard my colleagues discussing China and Italy, and sensed a strange tension in the air that would build to a crescendo by mid-March.

So, it's been one year since I saw this beautiful sight:

 
Victoria Coach Station arrivals

Our bus was stuck in the entranceway for ages because it was busy inside, so I turned to take this photo, not knowing it would be the last time - for how long? - I'd be seeing that sign.

Bienvenue à Londres, adieu à Londres. Tu me manques.

Got out for two walks today. One to pick up a library book and visit the local farmers' market, and one to go to the post office. 

This is life now.

Joni Mitchell got it right: you don't know what you've got til it's gone.

Today's Photo: Rainy Saturday



No comments: