Tuesday 14 December 2021

December 14, 2021

My new bar of soap is haunted but that's ok:



The new bank card arrived this morning so I am back in the land of the living. I quite enjoyed my non-consumerist, essentials-only week.

Idly browsing the gender studies section during a quiet moment on my library shift tonight, I found the greatest opening paragraph ever written:

 "One memorable evening, I mentioned over the family dinner that it was time to get our newly acquired dog desexed. At this point I should explain that my older son has a strange, unchild-like interest in taxidermy. Thus, ever since this boisterous, loving canine entered the household, my son has been campaigning for the dog, after it dies, to live on not just in our hearts, but in a tasteful, formaldehyde-preserved pose in the living room. To my son, then, my remark about neutering offered the possibility of a stopgap until that day should come. Dropping his cutlery in excitement, he exclaimed, "We could have his testicles made into a key ring!"

How could anyone not want to read on after that?

(Testosterone Rex by Cordelia Fine.)

Today's Photo: Winter Blossom 



No comments: