Thursday 19 August 2021

August 19, 2021

A fun feature of my brain is that it equates leaving the house for anywhere new with certain death or some other nameless horror.

It didn't used to be like this.

The result of this glitch is that I now have to a) spend a considerable amount of time in a state of panic while b) thinking of EVERYTHING - I can't leave until I've pre-empted and thoroughly mitigated for all possible disasters. 

Which c) takes time. And obviously there are certain disasters you can't prepare for, which is why a) is necessary.

Happy days. Anyway, I've finally got everything ready to take out to the van, so I'll spend tonight finishing off a half-bottle of wine while watching a Simon Amstell DVD, enjoying home comforts while I can and taking my mind of the impending doom of tomorrow.

Transcribing everywhere relevant from my Places To Go spreadsheet into my Travel notebook, I realised I'd be passing close to the geographical centre of England. Places like this are irresistible to a geek like me. I googled it to find out where it was, and learned that it used to be in Meriden, just outside Coventry (which is my first stop, for the 2-Tone exhibitions), but is now slightly further north, at Fenny Drayton in Leicestershire, in the middle of a field on private land.

I'll detour to Meriden, but skip Fenny Drayton, despite Google offering me a flight there from Cardiff airport with Air France for a mere £2,171 and taking only 16 hours and 20 minutes. Um, cheers.

When I'm away, I'll be offline, so unless I luck upon a wifi connection, I won't be able to blog. I'll catch up when I can.

I found this piece of nature writing via Twitter today and thought it was beautiful; you might enjoy it too.

Today's Photo (with apologies for the grubby nails): Breathe


No comments: