Sunday 25 July 2021

July 25, 2021

Genuinely can't believe I've managed to stick to the routine of posting on here daily - it's been 206 days now. This is no mean feat when you have ADHD and absolutely nothing to write about.

Today's round up of good stuff:

I loved this story about a musician who made music with the Golden Gate Bridge:

I hear music in random sounds all the time, and even in some patterns I see, so it's wonderful to find someone actually make it come to life.

I enjoyed going through the replies to this Twitter question that asked, what song were you most surprised to find out was a cover/ sample? 

In honour of Amy, who we lost ten years ago this weekend, here's Valerie:


David Hepworth's blog is always interesting. Whenever I go there I always end up happily rummaging through the archives. Today's best find was 'Why nobody can answer the "what kind of music do you like?" question.'

An absorbing article on Craft, Flow and Cognitive Styles, of interest to autistics and people who teach.

A thought-provoking essay on Lockdown's moral mission creep

I'm exhausted all over but particulary the face - a Letters of Note tribute to "loners, introverts and reclusive souls". Cheers, Letters.

An old Financial Times article about dying seaside towns hit home; I've been longing to move to Blackpool recently, and absolutely for these reasons: 

"People have a positive association from their childhood... When something's not gone right in their lives, [when] there's a problem, [when] they're running away from something, then people do tend to come to Blackpool, and the cheap housing helps drive people here," he says. One friend of Hopkins' puts it more bluntly. "It's a drop-out town."

I even spent Friday afternoon on Zoopla (before I read the article) looking for cheap flats on or near the promenade.

The Little Travelling Bookshop is a new venture that aims to sell books around Scotland from a specially-converted van:

(pic: The Little Travelling Bookshop)

Oh wow. My mind exploded with ideas on seeing this photo. 

It's long been a dream of mine to hawk secondhand books from a converted cargo bike - just rock up to the beach on a sunny day sort of thing, not a proper business, more of a pocket money hobby.

I've now carefully set aside the huge pile of books I was going to try and flog to a bookshop, and have been investigating shelves for a van version of the bike dream, instead. It could be something interesting to do this summer, if I can summon up the nerve.

I'm still busy trying to tackle the perennial problem of having too much stuff. Books and DVDs are being added to the discard pile each day, and old diaries are being scanned before they go in the shredder. 

One day I will have No More Stuff and it will feel miraculous.

Today's Photo: Blue John



No comments: