Thursday 15 July 2021

July 15, 2021

Some cool things:

Stonehenge by Markus Georg:

Furry Mona Lisa by Murat Yıldırım: 

White Noise American Prayer Rug by Nicholas Galanin:

Simon Menner's images from the secret Stasi archives.

Tanja Jeremić's Tumblr.

Pretty much anything by Nina Katchadourian.

Sign Here Please: a memoir of autograph hunting and obsession.

All I did today was watch DVDs. DVDs are, along with books, on the purge list; I have way too many and I need to shift a few.

I remember when you just went to the cinema, saw the film, walked out at the end and that was that. The film was consigned to memory, or maybe not, and that was fine. If something was really good maybe you went and saw it a few times more. This arrangement did not feel in any way detrimental. I did not have a burning desire to keep all the films (or the gigs, or the TV programmes); it wouldn't even have occurred to me to want to. You just saw stuff, and that stuff was ephemeral, which made the truly great stuff feel even more precious (looking at you, The Young Ones).

But suddenly I notice I have about 50 DVDs and I'm not sure why. They're all things I've loved in the past, but why do I feel the need to possess them now? Especially when pretty much everything is online? I can't find a good answer to this question.

They've got to go. However, I do have a burning desire to watch all these DVDs one last time before I throw them out. This represents an awful lot of man-hours, so bang goes the rest of July. Over the last two days I've seen Good Will Hunting, Globe on Screen's Twelfth Night, Groundhog Day, Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure, Silence of the Lambs and Gregory's Girl. All brilliant. All remain brilliant, whether I own the DVD or not.

Today's Photo: Fly Fly Fly Clarice



No comments: