Saturday 18 September 2021

September 18, 2021

Just cooking some plant-based chilli (vegan mince - chilli sin carne) for dinner, as per my 'Best Chilli' recipe, while feeling sorrowful and wishing I was still careening around Britain in my rusty-but-trusty Ford Transit.

Dug this little fella out to remind me of the good times:


I'm not a fan of ornaments but it's from the shop at John O'Groats which was still open at 8pm when I rocked up there two Saturdays ago, so I had to buy something.

I only came across five real Hairy Coos in Scotland; I saw more than that that time I got lost in the Netherlands. Like Nessie, the marketing is strong with this one.

Today's Photo: Corners


UPDATE: The chilli still warrants its name, even without Coo (hairy or otherwise). The secret is to be extremely generous with the red wine, I think. Here's the (out of focus) recipe:

Fry onion & garlic

Add mince

Pour in red wine and boil for 2-3 minutes

Stir in tin of tomatoes, tomato puree, chilli, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, dash of Worcestershire Sauce and a stock cube

Season & bring to a simmer; cook gently for about an hour (cover if poss)

Add beans, cook for 10 minutes more uncovered

 


No comments: