Thursday 16 September 2021

September 16, 2021

Just a quick catch up on the daily photos I've been too lazy to post since I got back from holiday.

The aim at the start of the year was to take at least one photo a day and post it here, so that's what I must do, even if I don't feel like it and/or the photo's shit.

The post below this one will include the photos from the road trip period, eventually.

11th Sept: This was the state of my forgotten-about fridge potatoes when I arrived home. I'm going to plant them and see what happens.

12 Sept: Woke up to a double sky-kiss framed perfectly in the window

13 Sept: Guess where I went today? Despite not being a fan of history (to the extent of shouting "Fuck castles" at every castle I saw in Scotland except Doune), the module I chose to open the academic year with is called Museums, Heritage and Representation. This was my first visit to St Fagans and it was definitely business not pleasure.

14 Sept: Meet my one true love (and its box). Everybody comes home from a holiday in Scotland with a Yamaha PortaSound PSS-470 electronic keyboard purchased for peanuts in a charity shop in Girvan, right? When I haven't been getting frustrated with uni work, I've been poking around on this little darling and composing some hot rocking beats. Cha cha cha!

15 Sept: My souvenir patch collection after being expanded by one (1) John O'Groats badge. I stole the patch idea from a fellow traveller on Easter Island in 2013 - her rucksack was smothered with them; I expressed admiration/envy; she replied, very reasonably, "well, why don't you start collecting patches from places you've been, too?" I hadn't thought of that.

The next day I went to a tourist shop and bought a Rapanui patch, and I've harvested one for anywhere I've been or anything I've done that's meant something to me since. To be allowed one I have to stay at least one night in a place*, and it's acceptable to buy one retrospectively off eBay if I can't get one at the actual location. Them's the rules, don't @ me. Multiple patches for multiple visits are permitted but I usually don't bother.

I look at this picture and feel enormously happy; I also think, that's nowhere near enough. I don't want to sew them onto a rucksack in case it wears out or gets nicked, so my patches remain a private joy.

Today's Photo: Back to the grindstone. 

Sigh.



* Technically by this reckoning I shouldn't have one for Bruges or St Davids, but bollocks to rules.


No comments: